Monday 4 September 2017

Halloween Treats by Angelic Pretty

Today I am looking at Halloween Treats by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, 2 hair accessories, socks, a blouse and a bag. There are also some additional Angelic Bat items which were released at the same time.





First is the OP. Being a sack dress, it does not have a defined bodice and waistline. This is one of the few instances where I think a sack style cut sort of works though. The sleeves look a suitable length and have a good amount of puffiness to them. I like that the cuffs are more fitted as well, which is a nice contrast to the loosely fitted sleeves. The cuffs have a really cool shaped hemline as well, which go brilliantly with the Halloween and bat theme. There is a yoke, which also has a fantastically appropriate shape to it. I like the size of the yoke too. The yoke features several lines of lace and some pleats, which stop the area from looking too flat and boring. There is also a line of buttons, which are well spaced out. The only thing I am not sure on is how they alternate between star shaped and circular buttons. I would have stuck with one or the other. The collar is lined neatly with lace and doesn't look too tight or stuffy. There is then a large bow topping the yoke. Although the bow is big, I think the size of it really suits the dress. I also like how the bow is made of stripy material, although it is a bit on the shiny side. The bat shaped detail topping the bow is the most wonderful finishing touch. I really love it! This bow is detachable, but I would leave it on as I feel it really pulls the design together. The back offers no shirring, so the size flexibility is limited. Shirring probably wouldn't suit a sack-like dress like this anyway. At least the yoke looks equally well shaped on the back and the zip is reasonably well concealed. The stock photos show that the 'skirt' has a lot of volume and flares outwards well. Not that you would want to over-do petticoat with this style of dress! The dress is otherwise kept simple in design, so the all-over print is displayed perfectly. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with the most amazing bat themed lace. I really like it!




Next is the JSK. The bodice looks quite well fitted, although the bodice shape is simple. The bat collar however, more than makes up for the simple bodice shape. It is bold with good lines and I find it very striking. It makes what would otherwise be a dull dress in to something much more exciting. I love the bat clip finishing off the collar as well. There is a waist bow, which I think is a suitable size. I feel it is very in proportion with the other details on the dress. This bow is a simple shape, but well formed. I wish the ribbon used was a bit less shiny, but this is only a very minor complaint. The bodice is broken up by several lines of star themed lace. This lace looks really cute and I like how it breaks up the otherwise empty space. The back offers a panel of shirring, which is topped neatly with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show that the skirt is generous in volume. I think it should hold plenty of petticoat and is a good option if the sack cut of the OP feels a bit too intimidating. The skirt is again kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off tidily with a line of the awesome bat lace.




Finally, this is the print. This series comes in ivory, black and lavender. I do wonder if AP will release more colours later when they see how well this series has done, but for now these 3 colours look really great with the print. As for the print itself, it is the perfect mix of spooky and cute. The fact that the coffins and tombstones are cakes and other sweets makes it look adorable rather than creepy. I especially love the bat shaped cookies and the ghostly marshmallows! The items in the print are evenly distributed. The stars and moons in the background help to fill in any empty spaces. The only thing I felt a little unsure of is that the grey and brown colours used on the ivory and lavender for the cakes looks as though it may appear a bit 'washed out'. I think on these 2 versions the print details do not stand out as clearly as they do on the black.

I am not in the slightest bit surprised to see that this series has been a success. Angelic Pretty really excel at this creepy cute Halloween theme. There isn't much I would tweak about the dress designs, even though I am not a huge fan of sack dresses. I especially love the bat shaped clips and hemlines. That was a really clever idea. Would I buy this series? No, but that is because as my longer-term readers will know, I don't do seasonal prints. If there was a series to tempt me to get a Halloween print though, this print would be a strong contender!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...