Monday 30 January 2017

Fortune Teller by Alice and the Pirates

Today I am looking at Fortune Teller by Alice and the Pirates. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a veil, socks and a cuff with a chain and ring.




First up is JSK I. The bodice looks very well fitted and the shape is interesting. The shape sort of reminds me of JSK I from their Midsummer series. I think the straps look a suitable width and very supportive. They are kept very plain though, with not even a thin line of lace lining them. There is a subtle thin line of lace going along the neckline, but it is not that noticeable. There is a high waist with a ribbon belt. I think it looks far enough down that it shouldn't hit the wearer's bust area, but this style of dress wont suit everybody. The ribbon used has a beautiful design to it, which is very bold. It gives the ribbon a really luxurious feel. The bow finishing the belt is well formed and I like the size. There is then a triangular shaped panel, which has a lace overlay. This looks fairly neatly done. I especially like the gorgeous looking lace lining this panel. It really stands out and is of a high quality too. The back offers a panel of shirring, which is topped neatly with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show that the skirt has a good amount of volume to it and flares outwards generously. It should hold a good amount of petticoat. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed perfectly. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of lace. This lace looks quite elaborate in comparison to a lot of the lace AatP usually uses. I think it is lovely.




Here we have JSK II. The bodice looks a bit loose and baggy, but it may just be the way the material has been gathered near the waist. The overall bodice shape is a bit basic and if it wasn't for the detachable ruffles, it would look like a basic sundress. I think the straps are way too thin and look very flimsy. There is also the detachable ruffles, which can be used as an additional set of straps, or dangling under the arms, as shown in the photo above. I personally prefer the look of the ruffles worn as straps, as it makes the bodice look a bit more elaborate. But I don't know why they didn't just add ruffles to the straps anyway, without having to bother with these detachable bits. There is a line of lace going along the waistline, which draws attention to the waist. There is then an elaborate line of gold braid, which is carefully looped, and then has a pearl chain design dangling from the braid. I am really impressed with how well this has been executed. The braid has been well positioned and the way it has been shaped really works with the pearl chains. I think the pearl chains are the perfect lengths. Even though the pearl chains are detachable, I would leave them attached. I think they are beautiful. There is also a ribbon bow on the neckline. The ribbon used has a pretty design to it and the bow is a lovely shape. I only wish it was just a little bit smaller in size. The back is fully shirred, so there is plenty of size flexibility. It does also mean the unattractive shirring has nothing concealing it though. The stock photos show that the skirt appears to be very full with plenty of volume. I think the skirt shape created in the stock photos goes well with the bodice. The skirt is again kept simple in design, so the print is displayed excellently. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of pretty lace.




Finally, this is what the print looks like. This series comes in beige, emerald, blue and black. There has been a bit of talk about how unusual the colours for this series are. Some of them are certainly a bit 'out there'. I think my main concern would be trying to colour co-ordinate some of the colourways offered. There are one or two colours which may be a bit easier to co-ordinate though. As for the print itself, the fortune telling tables are pretty with lovely drapes over them. There is lots of little details. I think this is also a brilliant idea for a print. Although similar sort of prints have been done before, I think it is not an overdone idea. The background behind the tables in stunning too. I am a bit unsure about the text floating around the tables. I am not sure if it is really needed. But it is really lovely to see a print that isn't too overcrowded. I really like the spacing in the border print, although I know it wont appeal to everybody. The non-border part of the print is pretty too. I like that the cards have a bit of detail to them, but are not too attention grabbing, so your eyes are drawn to the border part of the print.

So I think this is a series which is possibly going to get a mixed reception. I personally really love the print, but I admit I would struggle to wear some of the colours confidently. There are some interesting elements to the dress designs too. I think there are things I would tweak about both dresses, but there are some good ideas. Would I buy this series? Possibly not. I want to love it, but I feel very unsure about it. My top choice would be JSK II. It is difficult to pick a favourite colour, but for me it is between the emerald and the blue. I like both colours for different reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...