Monday 15 August 2016

Lovely Forest by Metamorphose

Today I shall be having a look at Lovely Forest by Metamorphose. This series includes 3 dresses (one comes in 2 lengths), 2 skirts (one has the non-border print part only), socks, 2 hair accessories, a floral pin and a floral bracelet.




First up is the Fur JSK. The bodice seems quite well fitted and the shape is quite cute. Underneath the fur collar, the straps look a suitable width. My only complaint is that when you remove the collar, the neckline and straps have no lace or anything, which leaves it looking a bit plain. As for the collar, I think it is well shaped and looks cute. Personally, I preferred the shape of the collar from the samples (you may have seen pictures of Misako Aoki wearing the sample version) but I don't think this new collar shape looks bad at all. Despite the fur fibres looking quite long, the fur still looks fairly neat. The bow attached to the collar is cute too, with a good size and lovely shape. There is a sweet bambi charm dangling from this bow too. I personally would leave the fur collar attached. The bodice features a few lines of lace, some ruffles, and a line of alternating bows and buttons. I think the lace looks to be of a decent quality and the ruffles look very well gathered and sit nicely on the dress. As for the bows, they look really cute and well formed. I think they are a good size and are well spaced out. The buttons also have a lovely floral design to them. To finish, there is also a detachable badge/patch, which features the deer from the print. With all the other details, I don't really know if I would want to wear the patch or not. The back has a panel of shirring, which is topped very neatly with a ribbon corset. There is also a bustle on the back, which is a good width and has some very well spaced out tiers. The tiers sit well on top of each other. Also, the choice of material for the bustle looks quite soft, so hopefully it wont stick outwards too much and create too much volume around the derriere area. The stock photos show that the skirt seems to have a good amount of volume to it and it flares outwards generously. It should hold plenty of petticoat. I really like the rounded look of the skirt in the stock photos. There are some lines of lace on the skirt, but the lace looks very thin and dainty, with a pretty design to it. I feel the lace works quite nicely, and the bows topping the skirt lace are a good size and shape as well. These details are kept nearer the top of the skirt, so the print is still displayed excellently. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of lace layered on top of a ruffle. 




Here we have the Ribbon JSK, which comes in 2 lengths (pictured is the mini-length). The bodice fit looks alright, but it could be better. I really dislike the bodice shape. The straight lines of the square neckline and insides of the straps, look too harsh and also very plain. A slightly rounded neckline could have looked fine. The decision to use a line of floral lace about a centimeter inside the straps is okay, and the lace used has a pretty design. However, as no further lace is used to line inside the straps, it means the harsh lines of the neckline have nothing there to soften them. The waistline and bodice are topped with a line of 4 bows. I think the bows are well spaced out. The top bow on the neckline could possibly do with being a bit smaller, but I like how Meta have folded the bow tails and used ribbon on this bow to make it look a whole lot more interesting. The 2 smaller bows in the middle could have been a tiny bit smaller, and possibly a slightly less shiny ribbon could have been used, but they otherwise look good. The waist bow however, is a real let-down. It is so saggy and sad looking. I think the shape of this bow is too simplistic anyway but the drooping is terrible. The bow is not holding its shape at all and it sits so limply on the dress. Thankfully, this waist bow is detachable! I felt this overwhelming sense of relief when I saw you could detach it! It is suggested in the photos that this dress comes with the bambi brooch as well. The back of the dress is fully shirred, so there should be plenty of size flexibility, but also means that the shirring is very exposed. The stock photos show that the skirt has plenty of volume and it flares outwards loads. It is generous and full, with a good shape to it. The skirt is also kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of lace. Judging by the pictures, it seems to be that Meta swan themed logo lace they have been using a fair bit lately, but I could be wrong.




This is the High Waist JSK. The bodice seems quite well fitted and the shape is cute. I really like the ruffle going along the neckline, although I wish it slowly tapered off gently at the sides, rather than continuing and going under the arm pit area. The strap width looks reasonable and fairly supportive. I think wider straps wouldn't have worked with the style of bodice, so I am glad Meta didn't make them any wider. They are lined with lace on both the insides and outsides, but I personally think this lace looks a bit messy. It is quite gathered, so the lace looks quite frilly, and I feel it needs to be reined in a little bit. There is a waist bow, which is massive. I definitely think it needs to be smaller, although thanks to its simplistic design, the large size is maybe a little bit more tolerable than it would have been if it had lace and a more complex shape. Considering its size, I think the waist bow holds it shape quite well, with only some minimal signs of drooping. There is a ribbon corset on the front of the bodice. I feel the ribbon looks quite neat, but maybe it could have been spaced out a bit more. The ribbon is at least matte. I really like the use of floral shaped lace to line the sides of the ribbon corset and underneath the neckline ruffle. It makes the bodice look neater and the lace choice is lovely too. The back is fully shirred, so again there is a lot of size flexibility, but it also means the unattractive shirring is not covered by anything. The stock photos show that the skirt is full with plenty of flare. I imagine the skirt will look amazing with the right petticoat. The length of the skirt compensates for the high waistline well too. Once again, the skirt is kept simple in design, and the print is displayed perfectly. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of lace layered over a ruffle. This is further topped with some ribbon bows, which are distributed well and look a good size.




Finally, this should hopefully give some idea what the print looks like. I will update the picture if a better one becomes available soon. This series comes in off-white, pink and brown. I think that both the off-white and pink look really pretty, but I am a little unsure about the brown version. It is not that the colours on the brown version don't work, but more that I think it would be very difficult to colour co-ordinate outside of matching items from the series. As for the print itself, I think the deer, squirrel and rabbit are adorable. There seems to be bits of the border print that have a more clustered bunch of animals compared to other bits though. I really love the waterfall part. I especially like how there are butterflies flying around the water. The trees look okay, but could have possibly done with a bit more detailing to them. The flowers are a pretty safe option to fill in the gaps in the print and work really well to create a flowery border at the bottom. I like the chains of flowers in the non-border part of the print as well. They fill in the background well, without looking overdone.

I get the impression that Meta are hoping this series will match the success of their Little Squirrel series, with the use of some very cute critters in the print and the return of a fake fur collar on one of the dresses. It could do fairly well, and there are at least plenty of dress designs to choose from. I can't quite seeing it being a sell-out, but the print is nice enough. Compared to a lot of recent Meta series, I think the dress designs are pretty good. There are still things I would tweak about each dress design, but nothing too drastic. Would I buy this series? No, but this is not really my sort of series anyway. My top choice would be the Fur JSK in off-white. I think that fur collar is very cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...