Monday 29 February 2016

Baked Sweets Parade By Angelic Pretty

Today's print is Baked Sweets Parade by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, tights and a hair accessory. There is also already a special set dress that comes in sax blue. This got announced before the series hit the website, so clearly AP knew this series was going to do well.





First up is the OP. The bodice looks shapely and well fitted. The arms seem a decent length. I like the little details on the cuffs, like how the pretty lace looks a bit like icing and the cute doughnut button. The bodice features some lines of lace which are well spaced out and are not too distracting. Personally, I think it is better that the details are not overpowering on the bodice, because it draws more attention to the print. In the centre of the bodice, there is a line of doughnut buttons, which are well spaced out. Everything about the bodice details is neatly set out. The shape of the collar is really pretty and I love the line of ruffles lining the edge of the collar. Everything looks so tidy! I do think the collar could have maybe been a bit smaller though. I also feel the ribbon chosen for the bow on the collar could have been less shiny. The bow is a cute shape and size though, and it finishes off the collar beautifully. The back offers no shirring, so size flexibility is limited. I am also a bit disappointed that the print isn't lined up that well along the zip line in the stock photos. The stock photos show that the skirt has plenty of volume and it flares outwards generously. The overall shape of the skirt is a good match for the bodice. There is the potential to create a really cute shape. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed perfectly. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of doughnut themed lace, which looks adorable.




Here we have the JSK. The bodice seems reasonably well fitted. I think the bodice shape is a bit simple, but maybe that is better for showing off the print. The straps look a decent width and very supportive. I think the outsides of the straps could have been lined with a thin line of lace, but I do appreciate the insides and neckline being lined so neatly with ribbon and lace. The ribbon is a bit too shiny though. The neckline is finished off with a neat chiffon ruffle, which has been well executed, but I am not really sure it is needed. The bodice features a line of cute doughnut buttons with lines of lace on either side. The top button could have been placed a tiny bit lower, but they are otherwise very well spaced out. I like the lace too, and it sits nicely on the dress. Normally, I am not too fussed about a dress having waist bows, but I think a ribbon bow could have looked quite cute here provided it was done in the right way. At least there is a little ribbon bow on the neckline. The back has a panel of shirring, but it is not covered by anything, so it isn't that appealing to look at. The stock photos show that the skirt has lots of volume and it flares out generously. I love the plump, rounded shape of the skirt in the stock photos. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed excellently. The bottom hem is then finished off with the doughnut lace again.




And here is what the print looks like. This series comes in ivory, yellow, mint and pink. These are pretty good choices for a print like this, but I don't feel it is necessary to have both ivory and yellow, even if the yellow is quite a deep shade. As for the print itself, the doughnuts are generally very cute and well drawn. I really dislike the brown doughnut with white icing though. It looks too flat and more like a soft cheese topped bagel than a doughnut. I really love the cruller with the strawberry icing and I think that is my favourite doughnut in the print. This print is pretty, but in my personal opinion it just doesn't compare to Melty Cream Donuts. MCD is a bit more cohesive and set out better.

So overall this is a cute series with some decent dress designs and a nice enough print. But it just isn't Melty Cream Donuts, and I know a lot of people would have preferred a MCD made-to-order instead of this new print! I am not surprised to see this series sold out so quickly though, as it is pretty decent with some strong designs. Would I buy this series? No, I wouldn't because it is not really my kind of thing anyway. Plus I like MCD better anyway! My top choice from this series would be the OP in either ivory or mint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...