Monday 2 November 2015

Secret Laboratory by Metamorphose

Today I shall be taking a look at Secret Laboratory by Metamorphose. This series includes 2 dresses (one comes in 2 different lengths), 3 hair accessories, a cat-ear cape, socks and tights.





First up is the Ribbon Shirred JSK (pictured is the Medium Length). The bodice seems to be fairly well fitted but something feels a bit off about the bodice shape. I think it may be the square neckline, as the lines look too straight and a bit too basic. Overall, the bodice is quite simple in shape and it doesn't really feel that special. The straps look a decent width and should be fairly supportive. Despite the use of some very pretty gold braid on the insides of the straps and the neckline, the straps look a bit boring to me. I feel some thin lines of lace would have livened them up a bit. Lace could have also helped to soften that harsh neckline shape. There is a large waist bow, which is quite basic in shape. I also feel this waist bow is a bit disproportionate and the top of the bow needs to be bigger. The bow also looks a little bit droopy in some of the stock photos. I feel that with the other bows on the bodice, the waist bow is not really needed. The bodice features 3 bows, with 2 smaller ones and then a more elaborate bigger bow placed on the neckline. These bows are really nicely shaped. I especially like the folds to the tails of the neckline bow, which makes it look a lot more interesting. The bows are nicely spaced out. I especially like the use of solid colour and the studs and charms on these bows, as it makes them stand out a bit better against the dark background. The back of the dress is fully shirred, so there is plenty of size flexibility. It does mean that there is nothing to conceal the shirring but because of the style of print, the shirring sort of blends in a little bit anyway. The stock photos show that the skirt has loads of volume and it flares outwards plenty. I love the full, rounded shape (I probably didn't choose the best picture to show this, but if the rest of the stock photos are anything to go by, the skirt does have a lovely shape to it). The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a simple chiffon ruffle.




Here we have the Button Front OP. The bodice looks well fitted and the shape is really lovely. The sleeves are a cute shape, although I do wonder if they are going to be a bit short in length on some people. I love how the cuffs have been gathered and the subtle line of thin gold lace which finishes them off. The gold lace adds a special touch to the cuffs and stops them looking too simple. It also matches up nicely with the use of gold lace on the bodice, so it shows a bit of continuity in the dress design. As the name suggests, this is a button up design, so there is a line of buttons running down the whole length of the dress. I have previously mentioned that I am not keen on this sort of design and I don't feel any differently about it on this dress. It causes an obvious misalignment in the print on the skirt and I think the bodice would have looked better without the button line breaking up the solid colour as well. The buttons chosen are also very basic in design. The bodice features some lines of thin gold lace, which helps break up the solid colour and I think gives the bodice a nice appearance. There are 2 bows on the waist line as well as a larger bow on the collar. Despite not being too big in size, I don't like the waist bows. I feel they add unnecessary bulk to the waist area. I am quite fond of the bow topping the collar though, even if it does look like it might be very floppy. I feel the collar needs this big bow to stop the bodice looking too plain. All 3 of these bows are detachable, but I would just detach the 2 waist bows. Perhaps they could be placed elsewhere on the dress. The collar on the dress is a very cute shape but it is too large. I think it makes the shoulder area look too wide. The back of the bodice is fully shirred, so there is plenty of size flexibility. It does mean the shirring is exposed once again but judging by the stock photos, I don't think it looks too bad? Maybe it is because the bodice is solid coloured and your attention is drawn to the print instead of the shirring. The stock photos show that the skirt is again very full with loads of volume. It will hold plenty of petticoat underneath. There is the potential to create a really sweet shape. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with the same gold lace.


Annoyingly, I was not able to get a decent picture of the print for this series (I didn't save the photo quick enough!) so I am going to recall my impressions of the print without a picture present. This series comes in ruby, emerald and amethyst. All 3 colours work well with the spooky feel of the print. I am actually having a hard time picking a favourite colour because they all work so good. As for the print itself, I am loving the more spooky take on the library themed print. And although the Halloween feel to the print is obvious, it doesn't feel like the sort of print you would only wear during the Halloween season. The objects at the front of the print are well set out. My favourite bit of the print is the cat stirring the cauldron. All of the objects in the print work well together. I also like how the book shelf background is broken up by the occasional cat lounging on the shelves. It makes the background look a bit less repetitive. Overall, it is an all-round solid print.

So I am hopeful that this series will do quite well for Meta. There are small things I would change about both dress designs, but they are quite good designs. I am a bit disappointed there isn't the option of the skirt though and 2 dress designs does feel a little bit limited. The print is lovely and I feel more could have been done with it. Would I buy this series? Possibly, but it doesn't feel like a wishlist sort of series. I think I would go for the JSK in amethyst, but only because I think the OP would make my shoulders look far too wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...