Monday 27 October 2014

Magical Moonlight by Metamorphose

Today I am looking at Magical Moonlight (or Magical Starry Sky) by Metamorphose. This series includes 3 dresses, 4 hair accessories, wrist cuffs, socks and tights. This series is also one of the ones that got unveiled at Revelry, so I have seen this print up close, in person as well!



This is the High-Low Tailed Pinafore JSK. The bodice is very well fitted with a smart shape to it. The straps are a decent width and are decorated boldly with gold braid. I think Meta maybe could have gotten away with the straps being a little bit thicker. The braid used is very pretty and striking. The bodice features 2 frog buttons. I was a little unsure about whether the dress really needed these frog buttons, but I guess the dress would look quite simple without them. It is a shame the frog buttons are not the same bold shade of gold like the gold braid though. The under-bust neckline is topped with 2 detachable chiffon ruffles. When I first set eyes on this dress I thought the chiffon looked like a bra, but it has since grown on me and I think it is an interesting addition. It wont suit everybody though and I think you need a certain amount of bust to truly make the chiffon parts work. That is why it is so good that they are detachable. With the chiffon bits detached, this dress would be a good excuse to bring out a blouse with a very frilly jabot or with some of of striking detail to it. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. I absolutely love the skirt of this dress. Although it is not as noticeable in the stock photos, the skirt is slightly shorter at the front. It makes for a very interesting shape. The stock photos show the skirt has lots of volume and I love the very rounded shape the skirt has. The skirt design is kept free of cluttering details and the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with more of the gold braid and a line of gold lace as well. 




This is the Dropped Waist Pinafore JSK. The bodice seems reasonably well fitted and the shape is quite nice. I am not liking the 3 sets of straps though as it is a bit too much. The 2 printed sets of straps stick out at an odd angle too. The chiffon halter neck straps don't really get the chance to shine as they are obscured by the other sets of straps. I personally would have just liked to have the chiffon straps and not bothered with the other 2 pairs. The chiffon straps match up well with the use of chiffon elsewhere on the dress and I think the halter neck style really suits the dress. The bodice features a ribbon corset design. The ribbon used is very shiny, although it is neatly spaced out and doesn't look too bunched together. The neckline has a simple ruffle, which gives the neckline a softer, fluffier appearance. A plain, straight neckline would have looked too basic here. The neckline also features a big chiffon bow. Although the size of the bow is massive, I think it actually works here. I think it helps that the bow is made of chiffon and not the printed fabric. The bow shape is cute. What I really love about the bow though, is the pentagram charm in the centre and the little tear shaped pearls hanging from the bow tails. The pentagram charm is one of the things that first attracted me to this series. The bow is detachable if you dislike it, but I personally prefer it attached.




And once again, Meta have chosen to add a strange bum-flap! Luckily on this dress it mainly gets covered up by the waist ties anyway and looks like they are a part of them. But I really hope Meta stop pushing this whole bum-flap thing as it just looks weird. Thankfully, once again this bum-flap is detachable.

The back also features a panel of shirring which has been topped with a ribbon corset. The dropped waist area features a chiffon ruffle, which looks cute. However, I dislike it teamed with the dropped waist. Something about the waist area on this dress looks a bit awkward. The skirt shape doesn't start off too nicely either. It is not very flattering. But the skirt does have a good amount of volume to it, despite its weird shape. The skirt features 3 gathered tiers. The print is still displayed fairly well, due to it being an all-over print instead of a border print. The top 2 tiers are neatly layered, but I think the bottom tier could have been done better. However, this is probably due in part to the bottom tier being detachable. I personally feel the skirt is too short without the bottom tier though. The bottom of the main top tier is finished off with 2 small solid coloured bows. The bows are shaped nicely and look quite cute, although I am not that fussed by them. They are detachable though, which is a bonus.




Here we have the Chiffon OP. The bodice seems well fitted and the shape is simple, but looks lovely. The short sleeves have a suitable amount of puff to them and it gives them a very cute look. The neckline is a pretty shape too. The waist area has a bow, which is a bit on the big side. It is a lovely shape though, and features the pentagram charm again. The waist bow is detachable and I think I prefer the dress with it detached, as there is the 2 smaller bows on the bodice anyway to stop it looking too plain. These 2 smaller bows are located just above the waist bow and are also detachable. They are a suitable size and the shape is so cute. I would definitely leave these 2 bows attached. The entire dress is broken up in to blocks with chiffon parts and printed parts. The bodice has a chiffon part at the chest area. I quite like it, because it gives the illusion that the printed part is a high waisted skirt. It is a bit different and the shapes are interesting. The chiffon part is slightly gathered and there is a line of pearls running in the centre of the chest area. I personally think I would prefer it if the pearl line wasn't there but it isn't that much of an issue. The neckline features a solid coloured bow. I think this bow is a very good size and shape. It is detachable but I feel the neckline is a bit too plain without it. The back features a small panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. I absolutely love the skirt on this dress. The way the printed fabric has been placed on top of the chiffon skirt is really pretty. The folds have been done neatly and it creates a lovely asymmetrical line. The chiffon layers that make up the bulk of the skirt have been layered on top of each other neatly. The wideness of the tiers is well balanced. The stock photos also show the overall skirt shape has a lovely rounded shape to it with plenty of volume.


And this is what the print looks like. This series is available in black, wine and misty blue (which almost looks lavender in some pictures, but is blue). I personally think the blue colour is a bit questionable, but the black and wine are absolutely gorgeous. I am a bit sad that they didn't do a navy blue/gold version though! As for the print itself, I am really loving the magic circles. The star shapes and text really give them a magical feel. The swan logo has also been included in a clever way. I like how the gaps between the circles have been filled with stars as well. Although this is quite a simplistic print, the end result is really pretty and I am a huge fan.

So I feel this is a series which deserves to do well for Meta. The Dropped Waist JSK is a bit of a let-down, but that aside I am not surprised this series has proven popular. Would I buy this series? Yes I would, and it is already on my wishlist! I have already purchased the tights from this series. I am hoping to get hold of the High-Low Tailed JSK in black too, but it sold out super quick and I didn't get a chance to buy it (update- I managed to get it after all! It is currently in customs, so here is hoping I can get it before Saturday!). I think it is a shame that Meta didn't release a skirt as well. Here is hoping Metamorphose decide to release more dresses, like they did with Vintage Cameo recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...