Thursday 5 December 2013

Practical Buying

A lot of us get excited about our latest purchases, but are they really as good as they seem? I know that I personally have experienced buying things and then they have been thrown to the back of my wardrobe and rarely worn. Sometimes this has been because I simply didn't like it as much as I thought, but there are other times when the clothes just didn't seem practical or the weather meant that it wasn't suitable. It is very frustrating but it has taught me to think more carefully about my purchases before I commit to buy. I am sharing my findings in the hope that it may stop at least one person from making a dodgy purchase.

Some fabrics are not suitable for wet weather- If you live somewhere that gets a lot of rain, then is it wise to buy pieces that get damaged by the rain? Velvet especially can get damaged. There was a meet where I was using my Innocent World crown bag, which has velvet parts, and it started raining. I was able to shelter my bag underneath my coat, but it made me realise how lucky I was that it was just small parts and not a dress. Velvet pieces can be gorgeous and are tempting around Winter time but if you choose to wear them then make sure to check your local weather forecast before heading out.

Watch out for prints that run- Yes, even brand can have flaws. It may be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the EGL list of prints that run and what can be washed- http://egl.livejournal.com/14953249.html There is nothing worse than buying a piece and then finding out you don't know how to look after it! I have heard some lolitas find that reds and navy blues are especially tricky and are known to run.

Seasonal themed prints- Maybe it's just me, but I think wearing a Christmas themed print in the Summer is a bit strange! I personally tend to avoid prints that I am likely to only wear for a short period of the year.

Parasols and umbrellas- Some parasols are not meant to be used in wet weather. Considering how detailed some lolita parasols can be, it would be a shame to ruin them. Umbrellas may not offer the same amount of sun protection that a parasol can. Whatever weather you are experiencing, make sure you are suitably protected.

Coat Reviews- It is no good simply googling a lolita coat review. You also have to consider what climate the coat reviewer lives in. Somebody who lives in the UK for example, will probably require a thinner coat than those who live in colder, more Northern countries. So whilst that coat may be suitable for the reviewer, it may not be suitable for you. The coat review may still be very useful to you, but just remember the reviewer's location before buying that coat yourself. A coat is probably one of the most expensive pieces that a lolita will buy, so take your time.

Is that cheap auction really worth it?- Whilst something may seem like a really good deal, if you are not too keen on the item are you likely to wear it much? That cheap auction is not such a good deal if it is just sitting on your wardrobe. Also, for international lolitas looking at Japanese auctions, you should always remember to add shopping service and customs fees on top. Sometimes when you add the fees on top that bargain suddenly doesn't seem like such a great deal.

If anybody else has some advice to share, then please do. It could benefit other lolitas. I am always on the look-out for tips on better buying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...