Thursday 3 October 2013

Dollhouse of Alice by Baby the Stars Shine Bright

Today I am looking at Dollhouse of Alice by BABY. This series includes 3 dresses (one is non-print), a skirt, a blouse, a bag, 2 hair accessories, 2 pairs of socks and an outfit for Usakumya.


Unfortunately, the pictures for this Babydoll JSK seem to have been taken down so I can only really go on what I can see in this one picture I managed to salvage. The bodice shape is pretty standard but the fit looks like it may be a little loose. It looks slightly baggy in the photo. The straps are a decent width for the dress and have been lined with lace on the outside, which makes them look less plain and gives a softer finish. The waist bow is a bit hard to distinguish as it blends in quite a bit. It appears a bit on the big side but because it blends in, it doesn't look too bad. The bow looks quite perky and sits well on the dress, with no obvious signs of droop. The lace on the neckline looks fine, although I think I would have preferred it to be a bit narrower as it looks a bit bulky. The bow on top of the lace is cute and a good shape and size. I think the dress could have worked just as well without this small bow, but it doesn't look too bad. The official measurements suggest the shirring has a fair bit of stretch to it. Such a shame I can't see the back to see what it looks like. The photos show the skirt has the potential to flare out quite well. The skirt looks very full and the slightly rounded shape is pretty. I would have maybe preferred it to be slightly more rounded, but it is pretty as it is. The skirt is kept free of cluttering detail, so the print is displayed well. The bottom is finished off neatly with a subtle line of lace and a simple ruffle, which looks very cute.


And this is the Ribbon JSK, which I thankfully have pictures for! The bodice shape is good and is well fitted, with a very defined shape. The straps are a good width for the dress and like the other dress, are lined with lace for a softer finish. The lace used is a good match for the neckline too.


The bodice has a line of ribbon running across. Hopefully it is low down enough to sit underneath the chest area, otherwise it is probably going to sit awkwardly on some people. The ribbon used doesn't appear to be shiny, which is great. The ribbon is topped with some very cute card suit shaped lace, although I wish the lace hadn't been used on the solid coloured bow as well because something about it looks a bit off. The solid coloured bow is quite cute though and has a lovely, sturdy shape to it. I personally am not a fan of the large bow on the neckline. When teamed with the smaller bow and other details, it is too over-powering and the bodice looks a bit crowded. I think the dress would have looked fine without the neckline bow there. The neckline lace is pretty standard for BABY and something we see a lot from them. They have however, included the card suit lace along the neckline as well, which helps to liven things up a little bit.

The back has a panel of shirring, which has been concealed very neatly by a ribbon corset. The photos show the skirt can flare out well. The overall shape is very rounded.and full, which is brilliant. The print is displayed well too. Towards the bottom of the skirt there is another line of card suit lace, which is then topped with 2 small bows. The bows don't look too overpowering and if the neckline bow wasn't there, it would all go together quite nicely. The bottom hem is then finished off with the usual good quality lace.




And here we have part of the print close-up. This print comes in ivory, pink, navy, brown and black. Surprisingly for me, I think my favourite is the brown version. The brown has quite a mature look to it. I also think the navy version looks quite vibrant. As for the print, I like the idea of combining Alice in Wonderland with a doll house and I think it works quite well. The print has lots of different rooms to explore and each room has had a lot of detail put in to it. The characters are drawn well. Even I have been getting a bit sock to death of Alice prints recently, but I do think this is quite a strong effort. Hopefully the print is good enough to keep people interested.


I'm not sure how I feel about BABY releasing all these different Usakumya outfits. I can't say that I have ever felt the urge to dress up my Usakumya. BABY have done some lovely items designed for ball jointed dolls but I think the Usa costumes are a waste of money for what you get. Still, for BABY's loyal customers, I suppose this is yet another set of items to start collecting...

So overall I think this is a reasonably good series. I think it is about time BABY gave Alice in Wonderland a bit of a rest but I suppose the print is quite interesting. The series itself isn't bad, it just doesn't seem very exciting or creative to see so many Alice prints in such a short space of time. It is not a series that I would personally buy. If I were to go for something I would choose the Ribbon JSK in brown and then remove the bow on the neckline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...